Ok, so you’ve found yourself in the job market – are you really ready to start applying? You might want to consider these things first.
Looking for a new role is something that needs effort to make sure that not only are your CV and social media profiles prepared, but they are an effective marketing tool for your brand in a candidate flooded market.
What ready doesn’t look like:
- Your social media profile picture is you in your swimmers with a few beers in hand or a picture of your dog…. Your LinkedIn profile is you, but not in corporate attire.
- An appropriate personal email addresses, eg firstname.lastname@example.org Is this the picture you want to portray to your new employer?
- Missing dates and gaps in your work history, dates on your CV that don’t match LinkedIn (yes, managers do cross-check) your roles and responsibilities are vague and non-specific
- Listing Aunty Jo as your referee won’t cut it.
- “Yo, leave some words” isn’t exactly a professional voicemail.
- Yep, the proof is absolutely needed, even photographic proof is required despite how bad your DL photo is.
- Only having 1 point left on your Drivers Licence probably hints that you are NOT driving like a nana!
What ready does looks like:
- Your current LinkedIn profile matches your CV. Your social media profile pictures are professional and relevant i.e. LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram.
- You have a professional personal email address
- In your CV, you list tangible and measurable achievements, awards, promotions. Your CV is customised to the specific role and your contact details are up to date.
- Referees are past managers who you have reported to and you have them prepared but do not list them on your CV.
- You have set up a professional voicemail on your mobile
- You have located copies of your academic transcript, certificate of completion, passport and birth certificate
- You know the current status of your driver’s licence and demerit points if you’re applying for an on-the-road sales role.
Contact us if you’d like one of the EPHealthcare team to provide some help in preparing for your next job application